Monday, October 5, 2009

Butternut Squash with Mussels and Pasta

We have an abundance of produce at our house that we are not using quickly enough. This week is a determined effort to use more of it! :) I flipped through the October Bon Appetit the other night and came across a few recipes that made use of some of our veggies.

The first one I tried was

Linguine with Butternut Squash, Spinach, and Mussels

We had this for dinner Saturday night. I loved the mussels. Cooking them was super easy and even better, super fast. Mr. T picked them up at the North Market and said they were really cheap too - only $5 for a pound. I will definitely be making these again.

The butternut squash also turned out very well. I roasted half with some fresh sage to save for another time (lunch today!) and I thought it was good both with and without. I've never been a huge squash fan and I definitely prefer it saltier vs. sweeter, but this was very good.

Overall though, I can't say I loved this dish. The pieces just weren't coming together as a cohesive whole for me. I liked the individual parts, but I ate them that way. Maybe I needed to make more sauce or cut back on the pasta, but it just wasn't awesome all together. Definitely a thumbs up for the parts though - my first time cooking both mussels and butternut squash, and I'll do both again!

No comments:

Post a Comment