Sunday, September 27, 2009

Beer Can Chicken and Easy Potatoes

I commented on the gorgeous day today and suggested grilling instead of the earlier plan of braised kale and spaghetti (from Bon Appetit...it's only postponed). Mr. T came up with Beer Can Chicken. For anyone who doesn't know, this involves shoving an opened can of beer into a whole chicken and then grilling it. We've never done it before but always wondered how it would turn out. Well, it was freaking delicious. Some of the best chicken I've ever had. It was ridiculously moist, as I believe I said after shoving 3 bites into my mouth in rapid fire. Mr. T used the recipe from "How To Grill" by Stephen Raichlen but I'm sure there are lots of variations out there on the interwebs.

To go with the delicious chicken, we had two super easy sides. A few days ago, I made cole slaw by putting CSA cabbage in the food processor and mixing it with Paul Newman Ginger Sesame dressing. It's obviously very easy and a nice low cal side. I take it for lunch a lot and sometimes put some chopped nuts on top. (When I don't have CSA cabbage, I just buy a bag of pre-shredded cole slaw mix.) Because it was leftover, it was a little mushy, but not too bad. I also decided to use the small thing of potatoes we got from the CSA weeks ago. They were small potatoes that looked sort of like new potatoes, but as Mr. T pointed out, they tasted more like Yukon Golds. I cut them into 8s and tossed them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and some fresh rosemary. Then I just wrapped them into some foil packets and tossed them on the grill for about 35 minutes. Easy peasy. They actually were delicious and my only regret is that I didn't make more!

No comments:

Post a Comment