Friday, March 26, 2010

Chicken and White Bean Soup

I saw this recipe in an old Bon Appetit magazine, and it sounded great and easy. It's fairly similar to another soup I like to make from Cooking Light, involving Great Northern Beans and turkey sausage.

So, tonight I made this recipe for Chicken and White Bean Soup and it was quite good. I didn't make it exactly as written, mostly because I'm lazy and cheap. I skipped the herbed oil part entirely and instead put some Italian spice blend (from the Giant Eagle with the grinder on top) into the soup as it cooked. I also used up all my onions the other day, so instead I chopped up a few garlic cloves and 1 1/2 large shallots. I used tomato paste (not sure if that's the same as puree or not) and I also never use as much oil as the recipes call for. I also skipped the parsley and bay leaf, as my spice cabinet has not been restocked since my move yet. I used two goods-sized chicken breasts (halves) which were over a pound.

Anyway, I highly recommend this. It had a lot more flavor than I was expecting and is very easy to adjust to your own personal taste. It was very filling and I just ate it with a piece of whole wheat sourdough toast.

That was my new recipe for the week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment