Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Coconut Vanilla Cupcakes

I know I am woefully behind on this blog, but I need to post this recipe. It is SO good. I made them for a baby shower I'm throwing with some co-workers tomorrow night and I brought 2 in for Jill, who LOVES coconut cake, so she could try them. She gave them lots of praise, so I feel like I'm right about how good they are.

Here is the recipe, from Epicurious:
Vanilla Bean Coconut Cupcakes

I used vanilla paste in the cupcakes instead of beans or extract, and I think I put in more than I was supposed to. I think I used the equivalent of 1 1/2 beans. Whatever, they taste awesome.

Some other tips:
-The reduced coconut milk gets a skin on it when you chill it in the fridge. Skim this off before you use it, otherwise everything will be lumpy or you'll have to put it through a mesh strainer like I did.
-If you pipe the frosting on top, don't put too much on. I realized I was about to run out with 6 left, so those just got frosting smeared on top. I actually think this works fine since you sprinkle coconut on top anyway.
-I made 19 cucpakes and think I could have gone to 20. The batter is very thick but it does rise.
-I didn't bother toasting the coconut for the top.

Seriously, try these. I don't even really care for coconut all that much and these are delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment